Monitored Smoke Alarms Save House

Posted on

An Owen Sound home equipped with a monitored smoke detection system was saved from potentially extensive fire damage.
On Wednesday Moneygram money order afternoon the Owen Sound Fire and Emergency Services responded to a west side home upon notification of a fire alarm activated. The monitored smoke detection system sent a signal to the monitoring station who requested fire crews attend the unoccupied home.
Upon arrival the firefighters found heavy smoke conditions on the second floor of the home, and a small fire in the bedroom. It appears that a hair dryer left plugged into the wall failed and ignited. The fire was contained to the top of the cabinet.
The monitored home smoke detection system proved extremely valuable in limiting the fire loss. Firefighters want to remind people to unplug small appliances when they are not being used.