Extension cord cause of Fire

Posted on

house fire 16th street across from home depot 2013

Owen Sound Fire Local 531 members attended a house fire August 3, 2013.  No-one was home at the time of the fire however the family lost 4 pets.  Local 531 members in fire prevention determined the cause of the fire likely to be an extension cord used to plug in a window air conditioner.  Extension cords can be dangerous, here are some safety tips to help keep you safe:

Use extension cords only when necessary and only on   a temporary basis.

* Unplug extension cords when not in use as they are   still conducting electricity.

* Use polarized extension cords with polarized appliances.  (one blade wider than the other).

* Make sure cords do not dangle from the counter or table tops   where they can be pulled down or tripped over.

* Replace cracked or worn extension cords with new. #16 gauge   cords that have the listing, of a nationally-recognized   testing laboratory, safety closures, and other safety features.

* With cords lacking safety closures, cover any unused outlets  with electrical tape or with plastic caps to prevent the   chance of a child or pet making contact with the live circuit.

* Insert plugs fully so that no part of the prongs are exposed   when the extension cord is in use.

* When disconnecting cords, pull the plug rather than the cord  itself.

* Teach children not to play with plugs and outlets.

* Use only three-wire extension cords for appliances with   three-prong plugs. Never remove the third (round or U-shaped)  prong, which is a safety feature designed to reduce the   risk of shock and electrocution.

* In locations where furniture or beds may be pushed against   an extension cord where the cord joins the plug, use a  special “angle extension cord,” which is specifically   designed for use in these instances.

* Check the plug and the body of the extension cord while the  cord is in use. Noticeable warming of these plastic parts is  expected when cords are being used at their maximum rating,   however, if the cord feels hot or if there is a softening of   the plastic, this is a warning that the plug wires or   connections are failing and that the extension cord should be  discarded and replaced.

* Never use an extension cord while it is coiled or looped.    Never cover any part of an extension cord with newspapers,  clothing, rugs, or any objects while the cord is in use.   Never place an extension cord where it is likely to be   damaged by heavy furniture or foot traffic.

* Don’t use staples or nails to attach extension cords to a   baseboard or to another surface.   This could damage the cord and present a shock or fire hazard.

* Don’t overload extension cords by plugging in appliances that  draw a total of more watts than the rating of the cord.   * Use special, heavy duty extension cords for high wattage   appliances such as air conditioners, portable electric   heaters, and freezers.

* Replace outdated outlets and appliances.

* When using outdoor tools and appliances, use only extension   cords labeled for outdoor use.

* Cords deteriorate when stored outside so bring them   inside when not in use.  * Children and pets face serious injury if they chew on unused   outlets or stick sharp metal objects into the openings.

* Do not use extension cords that are cut or damaged.

* Touching even a single exposed strand of wire can give you an  electric shock or burn.

By using proper extension cord safety techniques, you and your family can enjoy longer, safer use of your power tools and garden appliances.